Scott Mann is the Conservative Candidate for North Cornwall and was first elected in May 2015 and then re-elected in June 2017.
Born in Wadebridge, Scott went to school in the town and has worked and lived in North Cornwall all of his life. Working as a postman for nearly 20 years, Scott entered politics through joining the Wadebridge Conservative Club. Shortly afterwards, he was elected as the councillor for Wadebridge West on North Cornwall District Council (NCDC). Scott retained his seat at the next local elections and continued to represent Wadebridge West when NCDC was replaced by the Cornwall Council unitary authority.
In May 2015, Scott was elected for North Cornwall with 21,689 votes, giving him a 45% share of the vote and a majority of 6,621. After a snap General Election took place in June 2017, Scott was re-elected with 23,835 votes, giving him a 50.7% share of the vote and a majority of 7,200.
Scott is passionate about representing the interests of everyone in North Cornwall, from Kilkhampton down the coast to Padstow, and from Launceston across the moor to Bodmin.
Scott will stand up for North Cornwall by campaigning for:
- Affordable and self-build housing that people can actually afford in order to help hardworking local people get on the housing ladder
- More GPs and a 7-day-a-week NHS so local people have more access to healthcare whenever they need it
- Improving transport links to cut journey times and help local businesses grow
- More apprenticeships so young people can learn a profession and start a career
- Protection of our coast and countryside by opposing wind turbines and instead supporting alternative, more effective means of renewable energy such as tidal and geothermal.
Scott is also standing up for North Cornwall's essential industries - Fishing, Farming and Tourism - which are vital to its economy through creating jobs, revenue, produce and trade.
Scott backed the UK leaving the EU and will stand up for North Cornwall's farmers and fisherman as negotiations take place. In short, Scott wants Cornwall's fisherman to regain their territorial waters so fishing communities can once again thrive, and for the Duchy's farmers to get greater support from the Government through more incentives and less bureaucracy.
During his time as MP, Scott has been a member of the House of Commons' Environmental Audit Committee, was the Vice-Chairman of both the Local Democracy and WASPI (Women Against State Pension Inequality) All Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs), and was also a member of APPGs for Rural Health & Social Care, Angling, Housing & Planning, the Visitor Economy, and FairFuel, among others.
Scott also sat on the Government's Life Chances Group to form policy around creating better life chances for people from deprived backgrounds.
Latest news from Scott Mann